26 August 2015

Words That Changed The World: 7 Greatest Nat Turner Quotes

Nat Turner was an African American slave from Southhampton County, Virginia. He is most famous for leading a slave rebellion on August 21, 1831 which caused nearly 60 white men to be killed. He died on November 11, 1831.

1.  “And my father and mother strengthened me in this my first impression, saying in my presence, I was intended for some great purpose, which they had always thought from certain marks on my head and breast.”
  2.  “Having soon discovered to be great, I must appear so, and therefore studiously avoided mixing in society, and wrapped myself in mystery, devoting my time to fasting and prayer.”
 3.   “I heard a loud noise in the heavens, and the Spirit was loosened, and Christ had laid down the yoke he had borne for the sins of men, and that I should take it on and fight against the Serpent, for the time was fast approaching when the first should be last and the last should be first.”
  4.  “I was not addicted to stealing in my youth, nor have ever been; yet such was the confidence of the Negroes in the neighborhood, even at this early period of my life, in my superior judgment, that they would often carry me with them when they were going on any roguery, to plan for them.”
 5.   “I was struck with that particular passage which says: “Seek ye the kingdom of Heaven and all things shall be added unto you.”
  6.  “The manner in which I learned to read and write, not only had great influence on my own mind, as I acquired it with the most perfect ease, so much so, that I have no recollection whatever
    of learning the alphabet.”
  7.  “To a mind like mine, restless, inquisitive, and observant of everything that was passing, it is easy to suppose that religion was the subject to which it would be directed; and, although this subject principally occupied my thoughts, there was nothing that I saw or heard of to which my attention was not directed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air Your Comments Here

[LINK TEXT]