2 September 2015

Exclusive: Draya Michele Just Might Appear On “Power” Next Season

Ask three people who Draya Michele is and you’ll likely receive three completely different answers. Over the years, we’ve witnessed the 30-year-old reality star transform from reality TV underdog to respected swimsuit designer, and Queen Bee as far as all things “Basketball Wives: LA” are concerned. Recently, we were able to catch up with the savvy businesswoman to discuss her success in the fashion world, a potential “Power” cameo and her eventful relationship with on-again, off-again beau Orlando Scandrick.
MN: Mint Swim has really blown up. Typically, we see reality stars come out with a product line and we don’t hear anything else about it after a season or two. What did you do differently from a branding standpoint?
“I came out with something that a bunch of different celebrities weren’t coming out with. There weren’t a lot of us who had their own swimsuit line. I didn’t want to do the same things that everybody else does. Now, the times are different. We have social media and it’s like this monster marketing tool. And I use it more than any other marketing tool. Without Instagram and Twitter, I’d be using like traditional billboards and stuff. Instagram is like the king of marketing right now.
MN: You also have a clothing line, Fine Ass Girls. Any updates on that?
“Fine Ass Girls is just on hold until the holiday season. We’re going to put new things out. I mean, well, it’s not really on hold. The website is open, and there are things on the website to purchase, but as far as the new collection, it isn’t coming out until November.”
MN: I’ve been following you on “Basketball Wives: LA” since the beginning, and it’s hard to ignore how much you’ve grown. Personally, I kind of feel like you’ve outgrown the show completely. Do you think you’ll be a part of the series for much longer or are you closer to chucking the deuces?
“I’m closer to chucking the deuces. I agree, I feel like I’ve outgrown the show. I just don’t want to argue with people anymore.”
MN: Speaking of television, we saw that you shared a photo of yourself and “Power” star Joseph Sikora. There were rumors that you’ve been cast in the series. Any truth to that?
We were just in the same place at the same time; however, I did have my people reach out to the “Power” people to see what we can get cracking because I would love to be on “Power.”
MN: As you stated earlier, social media is major these days. And without going into detail, we both know that there’s currently a lot of cattiness going on with you and a cast member. Are you ever concerned that these types of issues will taint your brand and your image as a businesswoman?
Yeah, every time someone gets me to respond negatively, I think, “Oh my gosh, there are people who don’t even know that I’m on a TV show that are just following me because I make swimsuits.” When I do that, they’re probably thinking, “What the heck? What is she talking about? Why is she responding to this person? Why is she so angry?” So I try not to get angry, and I try to kind of not really pay attention to it and remain unfazed by it.
MN: And the people on social media who feel that they’re at liberty to speak on your personal life?
Over the years, I’ve really developed thick skin. With Instagram, you’ve got to take the good with the bad. There’s going to be 30,000 great comments, and there’s going to be 400 negative ones. And that’s okay, as long as the good outweighs the bad, you can’t really complain.
MN: I hate to bring up old stuff, but there was a very vicious comment that your old cast member Imani Showalter made about you during season one. It was so disheartening to see one woman tear another woman down in such a brutal way. Do you have any advice for women who find themselves in situations similar to the one that you were in a few years back where they’re being attacked or made to believe that they’re worthless?
The world is a very judgmental place. We show ourselves with our actions and the things that we say out of our mouths. That way, we give people an opportunity to judge us by what we show them—not what they’ve heard about us. That’s pretty much how I live my life. I know that people have heard things about me, but it’s my responsibility to prove all of those people wrong.


MN: Instagram was in a frenzy last week when you shared a photo of a bedroom with clothing and other items scattered all over it, and Orlando was also in the photo. You included a caption that said something like, “Well, I’m not the only crazy person here.” What were you trying to communicate with that post?
It was really petty and still lighthearted. It wasn’t meant to be malicious, it was just meant to be like funny. Like, “Oh, see, everybody does it,” and it was just reflective of the crazy, passionate love that we have for one another. I feel like as long as we’re not violent and not hurting each other, then that’s okay.
MN: Finally, what’s next for you? We know that you have Mint Swim and Fine Ass Girls. What else are you working on?
Well, definitely my acting. I’m in the process of talking about some skincare stuff so that might be my latest project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air Your Comments Here

[LINK TEXT]